View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 07:25 PM
88Black560SL

As you are well aware I'm looking into this myself.

I had pointed out to PCS that if wheel speed, throttle position and engine RPM became available over the CAN, the unit would be plug and play for me. You can probably get away without engine RPM and use N2 speed from the internal sensor (close enough).

Between the optional wire harness supplied by PCS and MB shifter harness 129 540 88 34, which I am holding in my hand the wiring would be done. Wheel speed is the biggest issue as the transmission has no output speed sensor on its own.

Those intending on putting this trans into an earlier car with am M117 will also be faced with the wheel speed sensor issue. If the car is equipt with a single ABS wheel in the diff your in luck. If not you are probably best to put a single toothed wheel on the drive shaft. For the speedometer you will also need a toothed wheel. For my 560SL I will need a 4 toothed wheel on the drive shaft to get my speedo working.

For my 560SL V12 since the car did not come with wheel speed sensors and I need 1 for each wheel, I mounted toothed wheels inboard on the CV flanges. I am also now making up speed sensor supports to mount on the SL600 diff side bearing retainers.

The first attached picture are the toothed wheels I had made for the CV flanges. The second picture is a very preliminary CAD drawing of the sensor support. You actually cut it in half to get 2 sensor supports. The real one will most likely be a 4 part weldment and then cut in two as I think a fully machined one will cost too much.

In a few short weeks I will be verifying if the 722.6 from the SL600 will bolt up to the 1986 M117. Both are out of the car sitting on my shop floor. But the 86 M117 has a trans on it and its buried.
Attached Thumbnails
722.6 5-speed conversion-timing-wheels.jpg   722.6 5-speed conversion-wheel-speed-sensors-adaptor.jpg