View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Loose Cannon - No Balls

You know what I paid for my needy 117k mile '94, ... but if that car truly needs nothing but a window switch and paint work, I'd say it's in the ballpark.

Knowing that a trip to a normal bodyshop will cost him $2,000, and that used car loans aren't exactly easy to get these days, I'd say he has to be flexible.

If there's competition for the car, you might be in trouble. If not, start by telling the guy that he's taken nice care of the car, get him to like you, and that you'd love to make it really nice again for your wife/"family", ... if he likes the car he'll like hearing that, ... but that a proper paint job is going to bury you in the car and you are a little afraid of where you'd be if it were hit or just being upside down in the car ($$) in general.

Best thing is to have the money with you, tell him that you've got the money and there's no worrying about whether someone can get a loan approved, "bird in the hand".

If the paint issue is noticable, it will drop the trade-in value of his car to nearly nothing, and might be why he's trying to retail it. Not a bad thing to indicate you're afraid of the same thing. I think the price is high for the market on an 18-year-old car with paint issues, even though there is a lot to like. Remember also that it is pretty common to get into a purchase like this, and want to change all fluids, possibly tires, belts, filters, ... that's already about a thousand, if you have documentation that this stuff is all complete and up-to-date with good rubber you're hundreds ahead and it can weigh into your decision to pay slightly more.

Most important of all, be sure you determine your "walk-away" point before you get there, it's very easy to pay a little more than you wanted to and regret it later.

Also, I probably have a rear window switch, and a regulator, if nothing else I surely have parts we can swap around to troubleshoot, you know where to find me.

I might be in the GR area today or tomorrow also to look at the 140.

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff