View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Diesel forever

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. Indeed, I realize there _is_ nothing comparable to cars like W123's and Volvo 240's - they belong to an era of design and engineering that we'll never see again... But since those old cars are getting older, and harder to find good specimens, I figured I'd cast my net a little broader and at least try to find something that embodies some of the characteristics that I so cherish in those older designs.

About the Toyota Truck, hope you didn't mean the Tacomas. Aren't they the ones subjected to this unadvertised factory recall because of rotten frames in the 90's models (part of a venture with GM I believe), where Toyota gives 1.5 times book value if you bring it in, and they send it to the recycler. I've read it's going to cost TOyota $100M!

The Lexus is a car that has appeal to me, and I keep looking for one that's reasonably priced and well maintained. The older Toyota Cressidas (the pre-Lexus model) were outstanding, but they stopped importing them in N-A in 1992 so finding a good specimen is very difficult in the Northeast.

In addition to my 82 Benz and 92 Volvo (latter is getting long in the tooth) I also own a 92 diesel Land Cruiser wagon which is tough as nails, but am looking for something in a car or stationwagon format, for all around driving.