View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Asylum Escapee

Volvo suggestion

I just finished putting a '94 Volvo 960 Wagon back on the road for my wife, and am very happy with the car. It has been a year-long project (too many concurrent projects), but I think (and more importantly, SHE thinks) it was worth the effort.

I've never touched the 240, so I don't have a point of reference, but I was duly impressed with the overall engineering of the car, down to the little light that comes on when you open the fuse panel. Things came apart and went together very logically, parts were readily available at good prices, and a local indy was incredible to work with for the things I didn't have the tools or desire to tackle.

At 134K, the car is still tight, smooth, and quiet. The donor car I pulled mechanical parts from, with 177K on the clock, was equally in good shape. All the hyped Volvo safety engineering is still there.

There were well-documented engine casting problems with the first few years of the engine in the 960, but the 96-97 engines were and continue to be rock solid performers. Just my 2 cents, but I think you should at least look at one.

Ken

1990 350SDL (It's a work in progress) 250K mi
1991 350SDL that was SUPPOSED to be a parts car 323K mi
2000 F350 Powerstroke 180K mi, 100K mi on B20 - B99

----------------------
Gone but not forgotten
1982 300D
1991 Jetta ECO Diesel