View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Roman Karpovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBYCC View Post
Roman...

You need to be a consultant to the auto manufacturers who are stuck in a time warp..

BMW got it wrong with the 335I TT introduced in 2007...
And how foolish was AMG with the SL65 TT...

And then there is APS with the TT installs on LS1 and LS2 small blocks..

Technically a single turbo is more efficient. several things are in it's advantage: less surface area for heat to escape before it enters the turbine, better flow/inertia ratio, less total system weight, higher compression efficiency possible, higher air pressure/flow rates for the backpressure it creates, the entire system can be made shorter and lose less pressure over the whole system.

But there is one big disadvantage: the single big turbo only has all these advantages over a very small operating range.

Where as a multi-turbo system misses a percent or two in overall system efficiency it more than makes up for that by achieving close to peak efficiency over a wider operational range. This is the key to why multi-turbo systems can achieve better drivablity in real world applications.

To state with no doubt that one is better then the other lacks true knowledge of application.

Maybe they wanted to build a more reliable and durable vehicles instead of hand grenades ?

I admire what you have achieved, but to achieve more your mind must always remain open to ideas and concepts other then what you subscribe to !

Ed A.

I knew that you would aswer with something like that.

The difference when I am writing something about tuning, I say things only I tryed by my self. I should never say anythiung about something I was reading or something I have heard somewhere.
1000 times I find out that it is big difference between teory and practise.

I work with turbochargers and tuning every day and it is the only thing I do and we compare stuff all the time. Different turbochargers, different engines.

I never sad anything about V8 TT.
I am talking about inline 4 and inline 6 and pulssplitt effect.

Where do you find that singel turbo gives a very small operating range?
Why it gives wider range at Supra MK4 then stock TT?

You should check more about pulssplitt/twin entry. Amazing stuff discovered ´for big heavy trucks so they can pull heavy trailers with early and soft range.
In sweden is very popular to use twin entry turbochargers and manifolds to avoid that we call here (ketchup effect) range.

Only in the little Stockholm we have more then 20 singel MK4 and everybody convert to single becaurse it gives much wider range.

Like twin entry so the Standalone system is popular too here in sweden and I had many tuning job last 4-5 month, about 40 different cars with different setups. So I have something to compare with.

Like I sad I should never say a word here about something I did not try by myself. And something I realy expiriment 100 times with is M103

By the way it is amazing how the turbochargering grows everyday.
We have a few guys here in town only 16-17 years old and allready making amazing stuff with a cars from the ground. Building own manifolds and installing Standalone and it looks like made by proffesional.

TURBOCHARGE YOUR MERCEDES

www.turbobandit.com
My band!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Turbobandit/135610656626424?fref=ts