View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 06:20 PM
10mm MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnik View Post
The MB100 PC is 14 mm (lower part into the head) while the 617 PC is 16mm!!
The MB100 I have on my table, the 16 mm comes from the drawing. Please check.
Things get complicated.
The upper part of the PC could be exchanged. Some PC are welded some are secured with a 2x5 mm pin.

Tom
Yep, the 616 and 617 N/A engines use the 14mm tube. The 617.95 (turbo) uses the 16mm. MB increased the wall thickness of the PC for the turbo motor due to increased stresses.

How dose the latest 60X PC with the angled injector compare to the 617 turbo PC. The burn tube OD looks big in the pictures I have seen.

The good news is I can use the MB100 PCs in my 616 with out having to modify the head.

I am not sure if MB opened up the burn tube inner dia with the increased OD (16mm). I believe their goal was to toughen up the PC it self. Boring out the ID would put additional stress on the PC and would undermine the purpose of increasing the wall thickness. My book calls out the burn tube ID for a 617N/A to be 7MM with a 14MM OD.

I am studying the patents and, at this point, think that MB angled the injector in the PC to accommodate placing the ball off center of the burn tube. The ball was placed off center to increase the balls influence on air flow during the compression stroke. If the injector was not angled to compensate for the altered ball position, the ball would not be as affective as a atomization aid.

The 4 HP gain from this off set ball design was achieved using stock fueling limits. They also found it encouraged a more complete burn, which means less fuel is needed to generate a given amount of heat,( better mileage). I would imagine that with a turned up pump, the HP increase would be higher over the previous PC design given the same amount of fueling, and therefore worth pursuing.

Since all the features we want are in the chamber, and that is made of the same piece of steal as the tube is, we can cut off the burn tube and weld on a 16mm one, ( not a good idea) or make a new PC with a 16mm tube. We could use the MB100 PC as a pattern, duplicate it but with a 16mm tube and use the ball. That is the easy part...

Now, any layers out there? The patent issue date I have is 1992. It is for the offset ball and angled injector, which is what we want to use for the new PC. I have had experience with this before, but I am not a layer, and will defer the legal implications of duplicating the latest PC features.

What is the PN for the MB100 PC?