View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 AM

M103 Stalling issue, fuel mixture or cat?

[edit 12/9/08 update]

I just went out and decided to check the X92 port for trouble codes and found these two:

#7 - TNA (Engine RPM) Signal

#27 - Data Exchange Fault Between CIS-E Control Unit and EZL ignition Control Unit

both are obviously related. What do you suggest i replace first? maybe the OVP relay?

[/edit]

my 93 2.6 decided to take a dump on me today. funny story: (skip these paragraphs if you dont care)

on my way to a final exam, but wanted to stop for dinner first before the exam. left work and managed to hit every single traffic light on the way so I was already running a bit late. come to a busy intersection in the middle of Irvine, CA and there was a huge traffic accident right in the middle, forcing everyone to take a detour. along the detour, bad drivers almost nail my car twice, and end up spending about 10-15 minutes in slow idling traffic.

eventually I made it to an intersection and missed 3 cycles because people were gridlocking the T intersection and couldnt turn. finally I make it to the front of the line and my engine shuts off and I start smelling sulphur from inside the cabin. I tried starting the car up again because I knew people would be pissed because i am preventing them from moving, but the car wouldn't start. the starter just keeps going but engine wouldnt start.

a police officer helps me direct traffic so I could move my car into a parking lot and get a ride to my final. at this point the car started up again, but I didn't trust it so I left it in the parking lot. ( made it about 5 mins late, had to skip my meal. wanted to eat my scantron during the exam ).

PROBLEM:

M103 2.6 stalled while idling in heavy traffic today and wouldn't start back up until after about 5 tries and 10 minutes of waiting. also there were smells of sulphur when I was sitting inside the car. does this mean the fuel mixture is too rich or the catalytic converter is on its way out?

I wouldn't think that a bad exhaust would cause a car to stall while idling though. my idle is very smooth and wasn't jerky when it stalled, it just turned off.

edit:

i forgot to mention that my car has been feeling sluggish as of a month ago and that my exhaust rattles at 2400rpm and 1100rpm.

any thoughts?

Last edited by John5788; 12-09-2008 at 10:40 PM.