View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 05:55 PM
10mm MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnik View Post
The drawings refer to the 60x engines. Those PC are different.
The angled 616 PC definitely has a centred ball with the flat turned compared to the "old" version where the flat of the ball points towards the burn hole.
The ball (with its axis) seems to be the same as used in the old version, but the axis is turned, no offset.

Tom

After reading the patent claims while I am awake, I see that only 1/2 the spray pattern hits the ball in the latest patented PC. The ball is .25 to 1.25mm off the center line of the burn tube and the injector is angled 5* in the direction of swirl rotation, but a the patent calls out an acceptable range from 2* to 10*.

I scanned the text and Fig 1 and kept the files big so hopefully they will be readable, the PDF file is too big to attach.

You can go to www.uspto.gov to get the patents. The numbers are in the previous posts. Thank you ConnClark for the patent numbers. Having access to the history behind a part that one wishes to mess with can potentially save many frivolous attempts to improve said part. This is not to say that those of whom, which developed the patented part, did not miss something, or were perhaps confined by stringent emission goals where otherwise different directions may have been taken.

If the ball is not meant to be centered in the spray pattern. Then the idea of swapping parts might work ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Prechamber modifications-prechamber-text.jpg   Prechamber modifications-prechamber-text-001.jpg   Prechamber modifications-prechamber.jpg