View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Loose Cannon - No Balls

X2

Slamming a hardened steel lifter into anything other than wood tells me that this guy is a hack.

The lifter is essentially a hydraulic damper. It fills with oil, the cam lobe will shove it down, the oil cannot escape fast enough to collapse during the very short (1/10 second at idle, shorter at higher RPM) time it is compressing a valve spring. If held under pressure (such as during engine assembly) it will collapse unless there is something very wrong with it. Holding it in your hand, you can press it together and force the oil out.

If he has tried to do so on a hydraulic press, he's an idiot to begin with, and the reason it did not compress is because it was already compressed.

First, I would run away from this shop. If I were so un-concerned with his lack of automotive knowledge and further, his lack of understanding that he might be wrong (which will come back when there is a problem later, and he can't believe the he messed up = you're screwed) to actually let him touch my car, I would tell him to get a black marker and take off his shoes before removing the lifters, so he can count to twelve and write it on the lifters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
I've heard more than enough about this "mechanic".

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff