View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graplr View Post
First I never stated that the FSM was wrong, now did I? You are basically stating that the FSM spent millions of dollars on testing cars with 300,000 miles, then aren't you? Don't think so.

I find it amusing how people know someone else is incorrect when they have never tried it themselves. Have you ever timed your glow plug relay?

The GLOW PLUG relay definitely kicks off at 33 seconds. I have the hood up and can hear the click coming from the glow plug relay box. NOT a light relay, not anywhere else. Try it yourself and see. I have never tried letting it glow for 60 seconds before a start. So far this winter I have done one double glow at 30 seconds a glow (probably unecessary at the temp but did it anyways). I will try the stated method and see how it works on a cold start. Then next time I have the same temperature on a cold start I will try it with a double glow.
Can you point out where you got the impression the FSM advise was written for new cars only ?

The way I found out about the FSM recommendations was the first 50 degree morning I owned my 1981 Turbo Wagon...I knew it ran well... all I had to do was leave the glow plug on longer and it started down to very low temperatures.... but it did not start with when the glowplug light went off...