View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 AM
95 e320 Sedan 124 Chassis

Exclamation Check Engine Light

I have an 1995 e320 sedan and the check engine light has been on for about 5k or 6k miles now. I have 98k on the engine. The car is running perfectly fine all this time.

1. I know they lights come on when there is a problem, but do they also come on at certain service intervals?

2. I am reading that folks here are getting their service codes, but from where? Is there a blinking light or digital no. that I can look at? Where is this located. My old Acura had a computer under the pass. seat, and it would blink, I just had to read the pattern and then look up the code. How do the people I read about do this, or, do they have the code reader?

3. The nearest M/B dealer is 60 miles from me, and it is extremely inconvenient for me to make an appt and the time to go there. It seems that I have been unable to find anyone in my area who could otherwise check the codes for me, is there any other option?

4. I am taking my car on a roadtrip from NY to CA, and with this light on, I want to make sure I'm not going to get myself in a jam. Other than that, is there anything else I should do, check timing belt, other belts, etc. I am very untechnically inclined when it comes to cars, so I have to mostly rely on outside help, so any advice to help me save money and time is appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by Gunth; 12-09-2008 at 02:05 PM.