View Single Post
Old 04-24-2002, 10:39 PM

disabling egr / crossover pipe filter?

1) Regarding the EGR valve - just wondering if the simple procedure of disconnecting and plugging the vacuum line applies to the 603 engine (87 300 tdt) or if it's necessary to block the valve completely on this model. I seem to remember conflicting posts on this topic

2) Also, if I understand correctly, blocking the EGR may not completely eliminate the dreaded coked oil build up. If this is the case, would a gasket shaped metallic screen or wire mesh placed in the intake end of the cross-over pipe be effective in trapping the loose chunks that would otherwise be sucked down the intake manifold? I picture a screen sandwiched and sealed between two gaskets. Maybe small particles of soot traveling down the intake is normal and inevitable so the "filter" would get clogged too easily.

I suppose if this was a good idea the folks in Stuttgart would have figured this out long ago........ anyway, I hope someone much more knowledgeable than myself can comment on this before I do something stupid. thanks Bryan