View Single Post
Old 04-25-2002, 11:25 PM

I would cut off the existing connectore that are there and replace them with new ones.

I usually solder my connections and heatshrink them but I like my wiring to be neat and tidy and solid.

I use special crimpers, you can usually find some at places that sell the connectors, which make the job easy. if going with pliers, you might have to squeeze hard to get them to crimp. the ones I use have a curved end and a dimple, and really crimps those suckers on.

The butt connectors are what most shops use, and the blue ones are the right size. The red ones or yellow ones are wrong. Red is smaller than the blue, for very thin cable, and the yellow ones are for thicker cable.

I usually find that for around $5 to $10 you can get a kit with all sorts of solderles connectors and it usually comes with a wire tool that strips, cuts and crimps. My crimper tool cost a bit, but since I used to install stereos when I was 16-18 years old, I still have my pair that I bought off the snap on guy. They were damned expensive off the snap on truck too, but at the time my boss paid for them, and I got to keep them along with a $300 makita drill I still have and use to this day.

I enjoy wiring up stereos as a hobby, and sometimes on weekends I go help my friend at his shop wire up DVD and nav systems and all sorts of crazy things to cars.

Right now he has fully stripped a BMW 740IL and is wiring in a whole new custom System with DVD, Navigation, and the works. the thing is sick.

My friend's tahoe which I have also helped with is the sickest install I have seen in my life, the really sick part is the Alpine F1 Status Radio with processor. The 18" Vega Strokers are also sick. We are still working on it, its been a long process, but its slowly getting there. Should be able to hit at least 170db with that thing if not more. The box for the strokers was designed by cerwin vega as the4y are sponsoring the truck for the woofers.

I myself would never put that much money into a stereo system, but my friend is building it for competition. The alarm for the car does so much stuff, it will be controlled via his cell phone. We are also wiring in a full blown pentium 4 computer system too.

Alon