View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Pooka

Removing one of these tanks is really pretty easy. Just drain the gas, let itsit with the cas cap off for a day or so to allow it to vapor off and then just take it out. You will notice that it is heavier than it looks, and can be rather clumsy to handle until it is out from under the car.

Putting it back in is the hard part. This was a two man job at the factory and the car was up in the air when it was done. I suspect you do not have a lift, so plan on finding some help during the install phase.

It is not just lifting it into place; it is also the lining it up like it was. When inserting the bolts just put them in enough to hold it up there, then adjust the tank's position, tighten, adjust... Repeat as necessary.

I would recommend having a radiator shop look at this and maybe let them do any repair job that is necessary. I know some of the popular tank sealers from the 1980's would disolve when gasoline from the 2000's was put into them because the chemical used in the sealer was not compatable with Ethenol.

If your tank is really shot then why not relace it with a used one? These cars are in the wrecking yards here and there and cars from the Southwest normally have tanks that are pretty clean.

Pooka