View Single Post
Old 04-26-2002, 07:06 PM
I am wondering what your reaction would be if a Mobil 1 development engineer offered information on this site; i.e. that his/her information should not be considered, should not be believed due to his/her bias?? It would seem you are at a point where there is absolutely nothing anyone can say or present that can convince you that Mobil 1 with Supersyn is operationally superior to previous Mobil 1 formulations.

As you said, if a Mobil 1 development engineer offers official information that Mobil 1 with SuperSyn has 90% PAO, I will consider it as a 100% synthetic and it will remove all the doubts in my mind as why all of a sudden the pour point increased and flash point decreased. I will then continue to use Mobil 1 with SuperSyn. The engineer needs to be on the record to say that (not just mention it by passing). Once he/she is on the record, others may want to confirm or contradict him/her in future tests. Or better yet, state that information (percentage of PAO) on Mobil's Website, product information, and MSDS. Why not?

Could you help this community and many other auto sites by facilitating an officail statement from Mobil that it has 90% PAO. Thanks in advance.

You are right that your business does not offer Mobil 1 oils at this point but you offer Mobil Delvac 1. I have seen your posts before that Delvac 1 is superior in gasoline engines as well.

To me, most oils only have 75 - 80% of the total oil in base stock and the rest 20 - 25% is in additives so Mobil 1 cannot have 90% PAO, as you stated. It was probably 90% of the 75 - 80% of the base stock before the Tri-Synthetic formulation.

I trust all official information from oil companies. All the specs numbers I have been quoting about Mobil 1 are directly from Mobil's Website.

On that day when Mobil put Tri-Synthetic under "Semi-Synthetic" on its Website, I noted that (others saw that too). But then Mobil pulled that a few days later. As you can see, I only use the oil company's own numbers and words. If PAO has such a low pour point, why all of a sudden the pour point increased? Less PAO? If less PAO, then what is replacing PAO? That is where I come from? Do you feel it is a bit odd that a 15W-50 oil and a 10W-30 oil have the same pour point? The 0W-40 and 15W-50 have to pass the tough Mercedes and BMW specs while the 5W-30 and 10W-30 do not but Mobil got its profits in the 5W-30 and 10W-30 viscosities, at least in the US.

Last edited by loubapache; 04-26-2002 at 07:24 PM.