View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 PM
General Purpose Geek

Ive set up a used cam with used cam followers, but I'm pretty sure that the person I got it from marked the followers very carefully.

The reason for doing this right is because the parts must be absolutely parallel in their mating surface so that the oil film can ride in between without scraping the oil film off, and so that the maximum area is available to distribute the load. It's hard to believe how important this is on a microscopic scale. If they are non-parallel or rounded in different shapes (and all of this is probably in the ten to hundred-thousandths of inches), you will find out pretty quickly. The parts are like butter with those kinds of pressures after you get past the case hardening.

I agree, if they are significantly off, you will find out soon.

In any event, I would use assembly lube liberally and change the oil sooner rather than later. There are varying opinions on whether or not this stuff is bad to leave in.

When I was a boy, there was an extremely cool exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, where you could spin a several-ton disk with your 10-year-old little finger with just a few microns of oil as a bearing.
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm