View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 PM

Oops! Lucked out, I hope...

My wife drives our 190E 2.3 to work, so I don't pay much attention unless a pool of something forms underneath, or she notifies me of a problem - which usually is late in the game. I just check my note for at what mileage next oil change due, and if odometer is shy of that, I lose interest.

Well, she had to take my car the other day since hers needed gas, and on an errand I noticed a ticking sound like a sticky lifter. When I asked, she said she hadn't noticed, but oil pressure seemed a bit low at times. I checked oil - not super clean, but only 1/2 qt down. My note said due at 143k, and she still had only 140k. So, I popped the cam cover to check lifters - MAN, what a lot of gunk! It seemed the oil had broken down and coated the inside of the cover with a bunch of sludge! Anyway , I topped up the oil with a good detergent oil, drove til warm, then did an oil change. Now oil pressure normal and lifter noise silent, and even seems to be running much smoother!

As I made the new label up I noticed for the first time the DATE of the last oil change - just shy of 2 yrs! Well, my wife only works 2 days a week, which comes to 32 mi. total. We never use the car otherwise, so in that time she had only put on 2500 mi. This time, I wrote the date MUCH bigger on the label.

Steve