View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Merc's...ahhh...

95 E300D Runaway Issue

Gents

Advice is greatly welcomed here...and needed

I've read through this post already, but need some clarification please:
Run away diesel, why does it happen?

What the car is experiencing is this...when cold (happens almost always when cold, but is starting to persist at more times as well now), when I start the car it will begin to run away if the accelerator is pressed at all. It will shut off with the key thankfully.

I can then turn the car again and it will slowly begin to rev up. It's not consistent though...as it doesn't happen all the time. I've popped the hood and had my son start the car...acted normally, then have him press the peddle a bit and it starts to run away...so this time I manually pushed down on the throttle linkage to the IP and that solve the problem. I've played with the linkage, but not being familiar with how it should normally "play", I'm not confident that it's loose enough.

What would be a sensible technique for determining if it's the linkage or the IP with this particular model? Also, will running ULSD without Diesel Power or some other additive to lubricate the IP cause this sort of issue...sticky IP?

Additionally, the car, if cold, when I let it warm up for a bit and it's not running away, can frequently settle at just over 1k rpm when slowing to a stop and not go back to regular idle...

Your input is valued...so please give some

Much appreciated!

Andy