View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Merc's...ahhh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pberku View Post
I have the same car, and had the exact same problem. So I'm advising you from experience.

Check your engine mounts. A worn out, (or collapsed) engine mount(s) will cause the engine to tilt to one side, pulling the linkage with it. This in turn will cause the symptoms that you described.

Try also loosening the tension on the accelerator cable. This may help as well.

Phil
I'll definitely check this tomorrow...thanks for the tip. So this morning I sprayed PB on all of the linkage and then manually played with moving it to encourage the PB to work into the joints. I then put some lube in the ball joints. I started the car and played with the linkage and it wouldn't return to normal position (let it warm up) unless I manually pushed it down.

Took it down to the local auto supply to get seafoam to add to the tank...and some windshield washer fluid as well. Anyway, added the seafoam and started the car. The linkage was loose as can be...but I'm not suggesting the seafoam did anything, as it didn't have time to get through the system...I think it was the drive over to the parts store that did something...perhaps the IP being worked did the trick.

I'll check the motor mounts tomorrow. I'll also check the linkage in the a.m. prior to starting to see if it's loose or not.

Thanks for all the helpful input thus far.

Andy