View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 AM

Panzer, as we discussed earlier, if your wheel cocks to one side while driving, it's very possible the steering box is not centered. This would probably affect the feell/play, as the unit is designed to increase approx 25% in resistance in the straight-ahead position. A quick check might be to measure the length of each tie rod, and compare. An alignment shop "should" lock the box using the centering screw hole near the pinion, but very few probably even know about it.
In lieu of finding a reasonably priced replacement, you could buy the seal kit, as I did, and go inside and check it out. Looking at mine, it appeard the major wear point would be the pinion teeth, and mine looked really good there.
Mine had a leak, along with my unsolved wandering issue, so that was my reason for diving in. I didn't go much further than pulling the pinion shaft out and replacing all the seals. But I was able to disassemble the adjustment screw and washers, and check them out; then do the friction adjustment on the bench. I believe though, that even though I oiled everything, the adjustment settled in and loosened up after running awhile.
But, this would give you a good chance to check out the adjuster washers, and shim them up as outlined in the manual.

DG