View Single Post
Old 04-30-2002, 02:51 PM
Electrons can do anything

Viewing new posts.

This post is for the administrators of this board.

I (and everybody else) have an annoying problem.

When viewing new posts, the system decides to mark them as viewed after 15 minutes of time. It is annoying because I have not had sufficient time to read and respond before the system decides to mark them as read.

I also use this software (Vbulletin) to on my webserver and I am familiar with the configuration settings. So I know how to set this timer. I do not see the need to have the system timeout ever and mark the posts as being read. It only causes me to miss reading all the posts that I have not yet read.

The setting that controls this is in the "User and registration options" section.

The actual timer is controlled by "Timeout for Cookie" setting.
This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before the unread posts are reset to read. The default is set to 900 seconds.

So if I am on line reading my unread posts for more than 15 minutes. The system marks them as read. If I walk away from my terminal for any reason I loose the posts that I have not yet read. Can you change this setting for a much longer value such as 3 hours or something like that?

I would appreciate making this change and I know others would as well. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Viewing new posts.-image1.jpg  

78 Corvette Stingray - 3k
82 242 Turbo Volvo - Manual - 270k
86 300e 5 speed manual - 210k
87 420sel - 240k
89 560sl - 78k
91 420sel - 205k
91 560sel - 85k
94 GMC Suburban - 90k
97 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail - 25k
00 GMC Silverado 1 ton 30k