View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 PM

So this dipstick walked in to a bar...

... anyway, I've recently acquired a '79 300 SDTurbo- 200k miles. I have a very humble question if anyone would like to take a swing (...been a long time listener, first time caller).

I've been searching the forum for a number of months and can't seem to find a thread about excessive oil burning in a turbo. I recently drove NYC to Chicago, all fluids topped up, checked the oil after 900 miles and was down a gallon of oil. Did the drive back and the same thing happened. Had seen on other forums talk of the turbo burning the oil (regular oil, not the synthetic type) if the turbo was not sufficient cooled down (ie left to idle for a number of minutes after running at 85 mph). Now, barring a value job, ring inspection, making sure there a no leaks in the gaskets, poor compression, blow back, etc (I assume it has none of those problems as of Oct when last I had it worked on) ... is the a plausible explanation?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, or if you know of a thread that already answers this type of question.....I would be very grately.

Now did you hear the one about the Priest, the Rabbi and the cicada?