Thread: Which seal kit
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 AM

Buy all the seals

I dont know exactly what seal you need...apparently the ZF pump requires various sizes depending on the year. I recently did this rebuild...my car is an 84 300TD and has the alloy ZF pump. I got the seals from AllParts Express on this site, not Fastlane. I bought the package with the two large o rings and a couple smaller seals, and I bought one of the separate front shaft seals (there are two separate sizes) thinking I chose the correct one. When I pulled the pump to do the repair, I realized I bought the wrong front seal (of course!)...so I just installed the two large o rings that go into the back side of the pump leaving the original front seal in...luckily, it was the rear seals that were leaking, but having taken the pump out of the car and did the rear seals, it killed me to not be able to put in the front seal at the same time. I bought the incorrect $9.00 seal, and did not get the cheaper correct $4.00 seal.. In hindsight, I should have just gotten both for short money to make sure!

In AllPart, the seals are under the category "Engine seals, gaskets and sets"...there are two seal kits under "PS Pump Seal Kits", costing
$2.52 and $3.98, and there are two front shaft seals under "PS Pump Seal", for $9.98 and $4.04. I would just buy them all for a total of just over $20. And just return the ones you didn't use. Also, you dont need all of the seals in the seal kit...I just installed the two big o rings...those are the ones that leak, plus the front shaft seal.

Good Luck,

Mark