View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Hot 4.5

Hi. I had this same issue last year. Mine would begin to run 'warm' when it was in stop & go traffic or at red lights. I wouldn't recommend running the car very much at all. Cab fare is much cheaper than replacing head gaskets.

The radiator cap has two 'stops'. After you set the cap in place, only turn it ONE 'stop' to the right instead of two. This allows excess pressure to vent out of the cooling system instead of building up and increasing the presure, then pushing the coolant through the pin-hole.

I had my radiator re-cored. The build-up inside the radiator was too much to repair. I had them re-core the original two-tube radiator with a three-tube core. I was told that it allowed for more water flow and cooling surface area. Not sure about this, but I can tell you it runs very cool, even in the summer with the AC cranked.

I would also recommend replacing the thermostat AND the radiator mount (kit is available online). I wasn't going to do the kit b/c of price, but I'm glad I did. It took care of one of the rumbling sounds that I was hearing.

Good luck.
G. Matthew B.
gmatthewb@yahoo.com