View Single Post
Old 05-06-2002, 11:27 AM
Human Spirit

5W-30 CH-4 vs. 5W-40 CH-4

Bo (in particular) and all others in general -

I respect the research and knowledge you all shared in this thread re: Mobil, spec. inconsistencies, etc. I have been a long time user of Rotella-T 15W-40 in my MB diesels and Mobil 1 in my gassers. My concern is over which synthetic diesel oil to use in a newly aquired VW TDI diesel which VW lists 5W-40 (dino or synthetic) as the preferred .

The no-brainer would be to use Delvac 1. However, I'm ready to throw in the towel on Mobil due to the points outlined in this thread and the difficulity I have finding a convenient source of supply in Mpls./St. Paul, Minnesota area.

I am ready to switch to Amsoil; they seem to be a consistent, no nonsense supplier that imparts a high level of integrity to the products they manufacture. I can order on-line and have product shipped to my door or stop in at my local jobber who maintains inventory in Mpls. I can also do 'will-call' pick ups at Amsoil's home base when I am in the Duluth/Superior area. The Amsoil recommended product for the TDI is their Series 3000, 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil.

Question: Should I have any concern about the fact the best Amsoil product for the TDI is available only as a 5W-30??

The Amsoil tech service people say it is not an issue and, in fact, their 3000 Series HDD oil compares favorably with other brands 5W-40. A check of the Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 product specs. seems to bear this out. The only difference I detect is a slightly lower viscosity at 100 C. Otherwise, the Amsoil product seems to spec out very favorably to Delvac 1 in most tests and superior to Delvac 1 in pour point (a plus in Minnesota).

90 300E, 142k (sold)
87 300TD, 128k (sold)
83 300D, 314k (sold)
79 300TD, 266k (sold)

Share your knowledge -

Wayne