View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 11:40 PM

New Nigerian Scam?

My friend listed an apartment for rent on Craigslist. She received this LONG reply (I have chopped off the last half). What is the scam here? I assume it will come when we were to get to the deposit and they want our bank info or something...

Here is the e-mail we got:

Hi There,

How re you doing? I hope all is well. I'm Sandra Martinez, am 26 yrs old and Am originally from Barcelona, Spain . Graduate of Huelva University on the Costa de la Luz ,

I have a master degree in interior fashion and I work as a professional fashion designer. I moved to , AZ two year ago for work and that's where am living. I'm am not in the states right now, i am presently in West Africa .

I am currently working on contract for a company call (African Family Home Fashions) here in West Africa ( Nigeria ) which the contract will be ending soon. I will be returning to the states in two weeks time and I don't want to go back to my where am living in because my house rent has expired there.

I enjoy traveling, It is very interesting to get more knowledge about the new countries, new people and traditions. It's great to have such a possibility. As i was searching through the web i saw the advert of your room. I would like to know maybe it's still available because I'm extremely interested in it. Here are the questions i would like to know about the room before planing to move in to the following questions below:

A}I will like to know the major intersection nearest your neighborhood.like shopping mall,Churches,bus line e.t.c

B}I will like to know the total cost for the my initial move as in first month rent and if you accept deposit.
C}I will like to know if there is any garage or parking space cos I will have my own car come over.

D}I will like to have the rent fee per month plus the utilities.
E}I will like to have the description of the room, size, and the equipments in there.

F}I will also like to know Your payment mode.
G}I will like to know if I can make an advance payment ahead my arrival that will be stand as a kind of commitment that I am truly coming over and for you to hold the room down for me. I will be very glad to have all this questions answered with out leaving a stone unturned...

Now a little about myself;I am from Barcelona, Spain : that means i am Spanish and had all my education in Spain . I am 26yrs old and very much single,the only child of my only parent, my mother alive, i lost my father and my only brother years ago while i was still a kid in an auto accident.I am currently living with my mom who's a catholic volunteer worker,but also manages her antique business. She is a volunteer at the sister's of the eucharistic heart of jesus convent,here in Barcelona , Spain . I have been wanted to relocated to the US longtime ago even while i was a little girl growing up and my mom is in support.It' been a long dreamed come true for me when i finally settled in the US now. I have chosen your city for me to live when i arrive.

Then another 5 paragraphs about her alleged life story...

Also received this reply allegedly from the UK:

Hello,
I will be relocating to your city for a year on an official assignment.
On search, I came across your listing, and I would really like to have more
details about it.
If it is still available, kindly send detailed information and pictures to my email
box so I can have a better idea of the Apt. Furthermore, it will be better sending
me the exact fee to be paid monthly including the security deposit (if required).
And your contact phone number (if you've got any) so we can talk better about it
over the phone.
Cheers
Derek

Also received 3 OTHER replies from the UK. So that is 5 total replies, 4 from the UK and the one from Nigeria.

Is this a common scam?

Last edited by mpolli; 02-02-2009 at 11:45 PM.