View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mySL View Post
Thanks Roy for the schematics. I was confused by them, now after I took it apart. It makes sense. Anyways....

I was going to go the MB assistence route because everyone said it would be the cost of the battery for them to come out and replace it, but the MB roadside tech said there is a $130 service charge to come out, so I opted for phone support. Although, it is not in the manual for removing the battery, he said that I need to remove a bracket with a 13mm socket wrench (manual only say you need a 10mm socket wrench) and the battery should come right out. From the top view, it looks like the battery is sitting on top of a holder, but actually it is the bottom bracket holding it in (see pic bottombracket).

Here are the steps (you can see want you have to take out in picture trunkview).

1. Remove the negative terminal with the 10mm socket wrench (in manual).
2. Remove the Positive Terminal with the 10mm socket wrench (in manual).
3. Remove the a T20 Torque Star wrench because you can't take out the top bracket without making the cover loose.
4. Remove the Top Bracket with the 10mm combination wrench or Box-end wrench (can't get it with a socket wrench; see picture topbracket).
5. Remove the Bottom Bracket with the 13mm socket wrench (you may have to remove the tire to have access to the 13mm bolt if you don't have a long socket wrench; I had to do that with a 13mm combination wrench).
6. Pull out the old one and put in the new battery.
7. Connect the Positive Terminal with the 10mm socket wrench (in manual).
8. Connect the negative terminal with the 10mm socket wrench (in manual).
9. If it works, put eveything else back together in reverse order.

Hope that helps someone in the future
What a crock of Horse *****, $130 service charge. I recently had my convenience battery changed by MB roadside assistance. I paid $230 for the battery and no service charge. The price for the battery was still high but there does not appear to be an easy place to find a replacement.