View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 09:10 AM

Let me say that I have worked as a Union employee for the past 16 years. Before that, I have work at a Union (UAW) plant on the shop floor with out being in the union. I have worked as job shops, foreign manufacturing plant (union I believe). Also, mom-n-pop and temp service. I believe unions still have a place in the work force. I also beleive that most present day unions have a very narrow outlook and so do their members. IE, what's my pay scale.
Although most will point to paid holidays, 40 hour work week etc, another gift of the unions is our electrical grid. OK, not the greatest, but compared to most countries, its excellent. Part of our electrical grid was established with and because of having a skilled work force. THe IBEC set up training for its union members. Also, initiated saftey procedures.
Now how many of you have worked at a place that told you how to complain if you thoguht you weren't being treated fairly or in accordance with the law. I was working at one place, and the job at hand seemed dangerous or unsafe to me. I refused to do the job. I figured I was going to get an earfull or possible get fired. Didn't happen. I learned latter, that they can't force you to do a job deemed unsafe. Also, they don't come out a tell you the work laws as far as giving notice, paid vacation rules etc. Lawyers cost money, and if your out of a job, good luck paying for one.
So unions balance the field of play. If unions should be outlawed, then maybe corporation should be outlawed. They are sort of a union of investers. Considering the present economic colapse, I think I'd blame Corperate America, than the unions.
Tom