View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by showme View Post
The other day I posted on my wife's 81 300D having a brake fluid leak. There has always been a place behind the master cylinder that looks like it has leaked down the front of the booster, but never any low reservoir levels. Some of you said to check the calipers or wheel cylinders. This morning I checked and it looks like it's pretty on the inside of both front wheels. (Didn't take them off yet to get a real look) I've found caliper rebuild kits ($16), and rebuilt calipers ($70) and new calipers($$$). What say all of you about rebuilding calipers DIY style? Any pictorials? Any "Don't even think about it!"'s? I need to replace the rotors, anyway, so I figure, if it's not a real pain in the a**, I might give it a shot. What do you think? Thanks! Lee
It depends on your level of experience and your patience. Getting the two pistons out of the bores is a challenge because once one piston is out.......there's a giant hole that must be plugged to allow you to force out the second piston.

Cleaning and getting the rust off the piston isn't too bad........unless water got into the cylinder........then, your rebuild project is over........you need a rebuilt caliper.

Installing the seal is no issue.

Installing the piston is difficult. The clearance is minimal and the piston wants to twist as it's going down..........furthermore, you don't have an easy way to use a C-clamp due to the confined space and the lack of a flat surface on the caliper. One additional point of note: On the caliper, outside the seal, is an area that is probably rusted. The rust buildup will definitely prevent the piston from going down into the cylinder. So, you must use some emery paper to completely eliminate the rust and raised metal in this area. It's a non-functional diameter, but it will stop the piston cold if you don't correct the issue.

Once the piston is installed successfully, you'll need three hands to install the boot........a real PITA to get it to snap into the groove on the caliper.

You can accomplish it if you're patient and have a bit of time.........don't say you weren't warned.........