View Single Post
Old 05-07-2002, 11:36 PM
Unbanned...?

FYI, the ALDA setting is totally separate from the boost pressure setting. Set the boost first, then mess with the ALDA. Factory spec is 0.85-0.95 bar (12.75-14.25 psi). So, if set at 14psi, you should be fine. The overboost safety switch is rated at 1.1 bar +/- 0.15 bar, to give you an idea of the maximum setting. I wouldn't mess with much past 1.1 bar or you could end up with a melted engine (the pistons are the weak point). For some reason (emissions?) the later W123.133 came from the factory with very low boost settings, usually 7-9psi. Upping this to 12-14 makes a BIG difference. However, increasing the boost on my 1987 300D from 13 to 15 psi made no perceptible difference.

Adjusting the ALDA screw increases the minimum fuel setting, which increases power off idle. I *think* that it will NOT affect top-end power (under boost), only off-idle. However I'm not 100% sure on that and I haven't heard any concrete evidence to prove that it does improve power under boost. Anyway, most cars usually need 0.5-1.5 turns CCW. A little smoke is normal at full load, as seen on a SUNNY DAY (not at night!) in the rear view mirror.

If you unscrew the ALDA even more, and don't see any more smoke, either the ALDA is not enriching the mixture under load (which supports my theory), or it's just not as visible and your MPG will suffer.

Best regards,

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!