View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAdams4458 View Post
The seals are just supposed to hold back oil

The question I'm hoping this thread will answer is this; Will valve seals alone contribute to less oil being vaporised in to the valve cover area? I know they're mostly intended to keep oil in the valve cover area from getting sucked in to the motor, but if air is leaking past valves under cylinder compression, and they do to some extent on every engine, will fresh valve seals prevent so much oil from being blown in to a mist by escaping compression that it creates an oil mist that escapes through the vent hose and subsequently gets sucked in to the intake? Basically, I wonder if they work both ways.
I have not read all this enough to give any sort of total answer..
but would suggest that you look at the FSM pictures and descriptions of the valve stem seals... 05.4-270/2 in my manual...
To summarize... the valve stem seals at one time came in two lengths. Only the shorter are available now... the shorter ones have a ' gas tight lip' in addition to the oil lip... Someone has probably posted this a picture of this page in some discussion in the archives....