View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whunter View Post
Your logic appears to be:
* Damaged parts should be re-used until they totally fail, requiring additional time, money, and/or energy to repair.

Sorry, that defies both Logic and Common Sense..
Nah, not at all what I'm saying. Let me clarify. First of all, on my W201 with hydraulic mounts, there would be really no difficulty in removing any of the fasteners should there be a problem. I now realize that this is not the case with the other type of mounts and on other cars.

Second, the original post I read as being rather alarmist, as if the concern was similar to that of reusing stretched head bolts. I asked why, because with my recent experience I couldn't see any cause for such concern. Now I understand.

Third, I'm quite experienced with fasteners as both a former mechanic and a current mechanical engineer. I wouldn't reuse any component that I deemed to be damaged in way that would meaningfully affect its serviceability. But that doesn't mean that I discard every fastener simply because it might be a little beat up. It's always a judgement call, and I feel quite comfortable with my ability to make the judgement for myself. The original post made me think there was more to the story than there is. Thanks for the clarification.