View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 06:27 PM
smoke gets in your eyes

We came in through the Big Oak Flat gate along 120 Wednesday night after a day of caverns and mining towns. Chains to about 12 miles past that gate. We ditched the chains the first time we saw an end restriction sign and I had my eyes peeled for such signs. The chains were useful along about 80% of that stretch, 3 miles of which were behind a plow (yay!) until it pulled off. Didn't need chains anywhere else.

We stayed at the Cedar Lodge in Incline, about 8 miles west of the Arch Rock entrance along 140. The park was wonderful on Thursday. Sunny, cloudless skies meant sweatshirt weather. I was down to a t-shirt after trudging through knee deep snow. I can't imagine it looks a lot better in green than it does in white. Obviously not much hiking to do under these conditions and many attractions are closed for the season. Waterfalls were flowing but not the late spring deluge. Being antisocial, it was a blessing to be able to stop on the road at will to take in the scenery and not have traffic build up behind us. Not even Mastercard buys you that It seemed the only other people in the park were professional photographers.

We took the 140 back to civilization. I don't want to do Priest Grade in the Caravan again

Sixto
87 300D