View Single Post
Old 05-10-2002, 08:58 PM
This DARN Vibration!

[1993 190e 2.6, 73k]

Hello Friends.

I'm hoping that you can help me with my continued struggle at solving a vibration problem while driving.

When I approach speeds of 65-70mph, I get this strong vibration in the driver's seat, the accelerator pedal and the steering wheel. The vibration is not noticable below 60mph. The wheel will not vibrate all of the time, but it's quite noticable when it does. The driver's seat and accelerator pedal vibrate ALL of the time at these speeds. I feel like I'm having a seizure while I'm driving!

I had my car to the shop a week and a half ago, and the mechanic noticed excessive play in the steering wheel. After inspecting the suspension, he determined that the wheel bearings and idler arm needed to be replaced. He did that for me and did a wheel alignment, and I was hoping that would take care of the vibration. Unfortunately, it did not help at all.

A few weeks before that, I had front brakes and rotors done. I think I'm gonna have to go back and have them adjusted or something. When I firmly apply the brakes at 40-45mph, there is that "bad rotor" sound -- excess vibration, etc.

Here's my main question: Could these brake pads and rotors be the culprite of this vibration problem? I didn't seem to have any problems before I had the brakes done. It appeared since the brake job.

If not the pads/rotors, then what could be causing this horrible vibrating? It's driving me NUTS!

As always, I would be grateful for your comments and feedback.

Thanks again everyone,