View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
1966 250SE Coupe Owner

One thing that I don't get about this is how all this carbon is getting along side the GP. Doesn't the end of the GB body, where it tapers, crush into a seat in the cylinder head? And if so, shouldn't this "crush" area seal off, and prevent carbon from entering along the side of the GP body?

In my pee brain, the solution is either to make a GP with a sleeve that will allow the GP to rotate and unthread, no matter how much carbon builds up (as I mentioned above) or the head needs to have time-serts installed for each GP to thread into, and the GP body needs to be grade 8 or better steel.

And regarding service, and removing the GP's for occational "checking" or "cleaning," the design of having the intake manifold mounted over the GP's makes this sort of a pain in the a$$. The car's got to have the front end up on ramps so you can remove the middle belly pan, then extract that bolt from under the intake manifold, then go up top and start working, etc.

IMO, MBZ is selling Ferarri engineering under the guise of bulletproof 3 star badge.