View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 PM
machinemanjr

MORE ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixto View Post
One of the stickies is chock full of vacuum diagrams.

The bowden cable affect shift timing. If the shifts occur when you expect, don't touch the cable.

Vacuum affects shift firmness - more vacuum means softer shifts. The VCV mimics manifold vacuum in a gasser. The VCV linked to the throttle linkage to the IP varies vacuum from what the pump puts out, about 20" Hg, to nothing under WOT. You can test this with a MityVac, vacuum gauge and your hand on the throttle linkage. Engine running or not, your choice

Sixto
87 300D
So the VCV is the switch thing ontop of the valve cover? If so I replaced the little levers in there and saw an improvement. The problem I am having is a kinda slow shift from 2-3 under heavy throt. and worse flaring when its shifting from 3-4. It seems to shift fine though when not under heavy acceleration. tommorrow I will take pictures of the myrad of vacuum lines going everywhere maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

And on an unrelated topic. Where is the ALDA overboot protection switch located? And also When I went to change my ALDA, I loosed the outer nut, but the stud sticking up with s slot for a screwdriver wouldnot move almost like the retaining nut was still on it. I tried pretty hard untill the stud's slot barely started deforiming. Am I doing something wrong,

Thanks to all you BENZ addicts like me....

1995 E300 Diesel w124 OM606
2014 E550 w212 M278 biturbo

2001 BMW 740i E38 M62 (past)
1981 300SD w126 OM617 (past)