View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 500SL Euro View Post
Many thanks for the fulsome reply :-)

Are you saying that using anything but MB parts is a mistake ?

Given that I'm in Atlanta, can I not have the heads redone rather than buying others ? Where's the catch ? What exactly must be redone to 'em, other than replacing the valve stem guides/seals ?

The water pump, double timing chain and steering box were recently replaced which is more reasons I'm motivated to repair the car.

2-Also, replace the engine, transmission and converter seals

3-replace the chain, oil pump and guides

I have the MB CD, have done a fair bit of work on vehicles, have a decent set of tools, and finish time is no problem, so........will give it a go, later, and meanwhile attempt to acquire necessary information.

BTW, what information did you acquire after underway, that was seriously helpful if not mandatory ?

I'm much encouraged that you and a few others have successfully done this and have shared your experience for which I profusely thank you all.

Sincerely,

Courtney
In some cases, you should use original MB parts. In other cases, no. And in still other cases, maybe. Some people prefer to use all original MB parts. But you can often buy OEM or equally high quality Bosch, Febi, Behr, Mann, Meyle, ATE, Goetz, Elring and other German-made parts for a lot less at Fast Lane, where Phil will give you a lot of help, or elsewhere on the Net. Based on what people here have found, though, you should definitely use original MB motor mounts.

If you're heads aren't seriously warped or cracked, changing the guides, a little milling and a pressure test is probably all you'll need, and that shouldn't run you more than $500 including guides and seals.

If you're planning on doing the inserts yourself, you've got more guts than I do. I understand it's a tedious process, and making a mistake can ruin your block. To wit, there's a 380sl sitting in a shop around here because the tap broke off in one of the head bolt holes, even though the mechanic had done that job many times before.

Take as many pictures as you can of everything before you remove anything. That way you'll be able to refer back to the pictures when you can't remember how things went. Also, get some freezer bags of different sizes to keep parts together with their nuts, bolts, and washers. And label them in a way that won't come off when they get greasy and oily.

You can ask questions here when you run into problems, as a number of people here have already done what you're doing.

Good luck, again.