View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Mmm! Diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend View Post
Encountered following symptoms in 1977 300D with 180K:
1. Starting attempt number 1: smoke comes out driver side dash speaker grill and no crank. Inspect, wait 10 minutes, attempt start again - no smoke, starts fine.
2. Starting attempt number 2: after stop over at a store 30 minutes later, same smoke and no crank on first attempt. Wait again and try cranking = no smoke, but slow cranking this time, but does start.
3. No subsequent attempts to start.

Smoke had nondescript smell - not quite like electrical, but not oil (pressure gauge connection nearby) or coolant smell.

I'm suspecting the ignition switch, but, as I've learned over decades of trial and error, it's a good idea to do a little research first.

Any thoughts?
Err. Seeing as how you live like, right next door to me, if you need another set of eyes, or a nose, I'm available, and I've spent hours and hours of my life dealing with the dark, mysterious abyss that is the backside of a W123 dash.

It just so happens I own a '77 300D, too!

Edit: Fished the sesame seed out from beneath the S key, and inserted a bunch of missing s's... Esses? Sesses? (Shakes head) It's early, guys. I need more coffee.

'77 300D Euro Delivery
OM617 turbo / 4-speed swap
404 Milanbraun Metallic / 134 Dattel MB-Tex

Current status:
* Undergoing body work

My '77 300D progress thread

Last edited by KAdams4458; 03-03-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: There seems to be a sesame seed stuck under my S-key. Or would that be an eame eed?