View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 12:35 AM

'79 300D >> Weird Power Loss Situation Cropping Up.

OK... recently my 300D has been doing a strange acceleration thing where it "bogs down" going into second or third, and can have a heck of a time getting up this hill on the way to work.

I thought of the little plastic fuel filter and checked that and found a bunch of black grime clogging it, so I thought changing that would solve my problem. I changed it, and for a day or so thought I was back to normal, but now it seems to be the same again. I checked the filter again and while there is a little bit of the black stuff in it, it doesn't seem like it would be enough to cause this bog-down thing....?

I'm wondering if the switch to partion bio-diesel is starting to eat away at my old fuel lines? I'm in Oregon and I think we're mandated in Portland to have B5 (5% bio/95% petro?) at all pumps. Do you think this could be the source of my power loss? Could enough of this get past my filters to clog the injectors? Oh... and should I check the other filter... the "secondary" as it's called I think?

Any other ideas on what to check on this? The only other thought I have is perhaps it's a new vacuum leak and my transmission is now acting up and bogging down on the shift pattern? I can sort of kick it into the next gear by quickly taking my foot off the pedal, then back on... it kicks in to the next gear, but the engine feels like it's "wobbling" or something?... not firing on all cylinders?....

Thanks all....