View Single Post
Old 05-13-2002, 10:39 PM

Angry Overheating??? 1993 190e 2.6

Hi folks,

I've got an overheating problem that occurs when I'm idling my 190e 2.6. I've flushed the cooling system and put a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. When I'm on the road the temp is just above 80 degrees centigrade. When I stop and let the car idle for just a few minutes the temp climbs to near 100 and sometimes higher. AC adds to the temp increase, but still only at idle. My aux fans work, but I've had to jiggle the relay a few times to have them come on. When the aux fans run it only helps a little bit. The heat works fine and the heater pump and core are ok I guess (the heat on obviously takes heat out of the system and the temp drops). Ever since I had the water pump replaced (3 months ago with genuine MB part) the overheating problem has been apparent. Now that summer temps are here, it's obviously getting worse. I also had smog pump replaced and in the process, my mechanic noticed leaking in the transmission fluid lines connecting to the radiator. The lines were replaced and he said one was a bit clogged and thought the overheating problem might have been caused by the blockage. That seemed a bit far-fetched to me. One thing I have not done is replaced those aux fan relays or replaced the thermostat. How can you tell if a thermostat is bad? Any suggestions? Also... how high a temp is too high? I've been told anything over 100 is really dangerous and can damge the engine. Anyone??? Beuller??? Beuller??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ed[FONT=times new roman][COLOR=darkblue][B]