View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 02:57 AM
smoke gets in your eyes

5) If you try to close the glove box door at this stage, you'll note the driver side limit arm catches the ACC airbox. Don't worry, there are guides to prevent that contact. In retrospect, the glovebox door striker is installed after the glovebox liner is in place so there's no way to adjust the hinges much later than this step.

The first picture shows the guides. The second picture shows the driver side guide going into place. Note the thicker end of the guide as viewed from the cabin goes towards the top. I noticed one side of the guide has a small tab and the tab side was on the dash side while the side without a tab was on the cabin side. At least that's how it was in my car. I don't think it matters where the tabs end up as long as the guides function. The second through sixth pictures show the left guide going into place. I used small screwdriver to gently guide the guide into place then to restore the guide to shape. The seventh through ninth pictures show the passenger side guide going into place (yes, I inadvertently started the driver side guide with the tab side towards the cabin) -

6) The first picture shows a nutclip that slides onto the upper ledge of the glovebox frame in the dash. The second picture shows the nutclip going into place. The third picture shows the nutclip in place -

7) I released the electrical connector of the glovebox light fixture and removed the light fixture from the glovebox liner. You only have to do one when removing the glovebox liner - you can release the electrical connector as you pull out the glovebox liner, or release the light fixture from the glovebox liner and leave it attached to the dash harness.

The first picture shows the electrical connector fished through the light fixture opening. The second picture shows the light fixture attached to the connector. The second through fifth pictures show the light fixture going into place -

8) The glovebox liner is ready to go into place. Before that, do what you can to get the lower panel padding and upper dash padding back the way it was. I winged it since I didn't note how things were as the dash came off. I set everything neatly with no bunching or strange angles.

The glovebox liner is held to the dash by 7 expanding plugs. There are 3 along the bottom and 4 along the top.

The first picture shows the glovebox liner just about in place. Press it evenly until the opening edges snap into place. The second picture shows where the glovebox door striker attaches. The third picture shows the glove box door striker held by a single proper black Philips head screw and a makeshift second screw (it would be days before I find the second screw). The fourth picture shows 1 of 7 expanding plugs that hold the glovebox liner to the dash. The fifth picture shows the plug pressed into place. The sixth through eighth pictures show the pin going into the plug. The ninth through eleventh pictures show the expanding plugs and pins in place. The twelfth picture shows the striker in place after adjusting the glovebox door (yes, a screw is still missing) -

Sixto
87 300D

Last edited by sixto; 03-10-2009 at 03:44 AM.