View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 AM
smoke gets in your eyes

Now to finish the topside trim. I describe the passenger side of each step. The driver side is the same.

1) I've removed and installed the speaker grills with the A-pillar trim pieces in place. It's easier to do with the A-pillar trim pieces off so I installed the speaker grills first. The speaker grills have hinge tabs that engage slots in the outer edges of the dash. Engage the hinge clips in the slots in the dash then set the inside edge of the speaker grill onto the dash. There is a long Philips head screw that goes diagonally towards the windshield and one that goes downward into the trailing edge of the dash. The cover trim piece goes on only one way. One end has a horizontal tab that slots into the windshield edge of the grill . Starting at the windshield edge, work towards the trailing edge pressing the trim piece into place every inch or so until the trim piece is fully set into place -

2) The clips that hold the A-pillar trim to the A-pillar tend to stay on the A-pillar. I had no luck getting the A-pillar trim pieces to slot into the clips so I removed the clips and fit them first to the A-pillar trim pieces. It takes a lot of prying to get them out. Keep the doors and windows closed and wear eye protection. Also watch how you're prying so if the tool slips it doesn't damage the windshield. The clip is gnarly. If they made fish hooks like this there wouldn't be stories of the one that got away. It certainly wouldn't get away with its mouth intact. I pried the top edge then the bottom edge then the top edge then the bottom edge to rock the clips off the A-pillar. Note how the clips are set in the A-pillar so you know how the attach to the A-pillar trim pieces. Set the clips in the slots in the A-pillar trim piece. Engage the trim piece in the headliner. It goes between the upholstered headliner trim and the gold colored metal piece. Swing the lower end of the trim piece over the speaker grill and just about into place. Peek between the pillar and trim piece to align the clips with the pockets they attach to. Press the trim piece right where the clips are to get it into place.

Sixto
87 300D

Last edited by sixto; 03-10-2009 at 03:48 AM.