View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Go S Class or go home

Ok fellas, sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread but I had some brake issues that took my attention and parked the car for a while.

Got the brakes squared away and finally got around to evaluating my oil usage. I went a bit over my 1k mile check point but at 1250 miles I THINK I can offer a fairly accurate observation.

It would appear that my oils usage is less than I have been experiencing. I was down about half a quart as opposed to the typical quart or so prior to the valve stem seal replacement. I can also report that the top of my valve cover remains free of leakage from the cap as does the area around the valve cover gasket.

Disclaimer: Far from a scientific analysis this is merely my observation of oil consumption pre and post seal replacement.

I will be taking the old boy on a road trip to Orlando this weekend. I am curious to see if oil consumption is different with extended highway driving as opposed to the mix of stop and go & highway of my daily 60 mile round trip commute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1980 300SD - 495k miles - 'The Ambassador'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Former Family Members
95 C280
73 280SEL
90 300D
87 300SDL (X2)
86 560SEL
84 300D
80 300SD