View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 06:39 PM

"you need to smooth the surface out with sand paper or a buffer or something. My boss's wife's 104 in her 300CE had the same problem with the peeling paint and looked like complete ****. I stripped all the paint off of it and hand polished it to a mirror shine. It took a lot of work, but came out real nice in the end."

No, this cover is BEYOND that. I have sanded it down and all I have revealed are pits that go all the way trough the metal. I would have to use filler just to stop vacuum leaks!!

Luckily, this guy in California had a couple M103 valve covers sand blasted and ready to paint for the very reasonable price of $50. I just decided to plunk it down and buy one. The photos are pretty nice.

I guess some of these were cast better than others. This one I have here is so poorly cast that I honestly can't believe that they used it at all. I mean c'mon, pits that go all the way through the metal? Give me a break. Stamped steel would have been better.

I'll post a photo of the old one soon.....

1990 300SE "Corinne"- 145k daily driver - street modified differential - PARTING OUT OR SELLING SOON - PORTLAND OR. AREA - PM ME FOR DETAILS
1988 560SEL "Gunther"- 190K passes anything except a gas station
1997 S420 - 265k just bought it with a rebuilt trans. Lovely condition