View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 04:46 PM

FUEL AND START PROBLEM WITH 86 420 SEL

Hi All,
I have a 1986 420 SEL with a starting problem. It has been 8 or 9 months since I have started it, I keep it as a spare car.
Tried to start it the other day and it would not go. I shot starting fluid down the intake and it immediately started but for only a few seconds. I repeated the same thing 3 or 4 times with same result.

Since it tried to start but would not continue running I am feeling fairly confident that it is a fuel issue and probably NOT and electrical problem. Knowing that the gas is old I added about 3 gallons of new gas

I have learned from reading Arthur Dalton's and others posts to try to give some kind of sequence, or order, of what has and has not been done by us rookie's.
I just changed my fuel filter yesterday ( that was plugged) checked that both pumps were working (they seemed to be) but no fuel up to the distributor. I read that if return line was plugged there would be problems so I blew out the return line to tank with a compressor.

I did not blow out the line leading from gas tank to pumps b/c when changing filter there seemed to be plenty of fuel spilling out of everything I loosened or disassembled, also, after the job was done I discovered a leak from one of the pump connections which led me to believe fuel was getting to the pumps.

The only things that are different from before I changed the filter and now are. (1) Before filter change I could get a small amount of fuel from fuel line by cracking line at injector but now I get nothing. (2) I notice some clicking noises that sound as though they are coming from fuel distributor or left front drivers fender not heard before.

I have found the fuel pump relay and the ovp. Fuse looks good on ovp and I have learned how to jump the fuel pump relay pin #30 and #87 (thanks to the forum).

I am using a 12 gauge solid copper wire as a jumper. Is there any certain size I should use or is that one ok? Can I blow or burn anything up if I leave that jumper in the relay for an extended period of time? Would I have time to check if the fuel pumps are getting 12 volts at the pump as Arthur Dalton suggested. Probably to many questions for one post!!!! HUH!!!

Don't exactly know where to go next so any suggestions will be muchly appreciated.

ALL QUESTIONS, COMMENTS OR SNIDE REMARKS ARE WELCOME!

THANKS