View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 03:02 PM

w124 94 e320 failed nj emissions please help

Hello all! long time no post for me as car was behaving . Now car has failed state inspection for 2 parts of the emissions test and i kindly request your assistance. Standard for HC is 100 and car was emitting 121, standard for CO% is 0.50 and car was emitting 0.59. These figures are from the failed inspection printout performed at 2395 rpm. I have searched and read many posts for other similar situations with 94 and 95 e320's. Car does have a hard start when cold and over the past few weeks has required twice holding down the gas pedal a little to start. Car always cranks, but those 2 times would not idle and would shut off right when would release the key after trying to start it. Car does have a rough idle (when car has warmed up) and at times when trying to pass someone on the highway feels like drops a cylinder and i barely make it past the person. At that moment, it feels like i am running over train tracks (as car is violently shaking) and without letting go of gas pedal car eventually operates like normal providing good power to pass. I am not sure what the status of the wiring harness is, but the car does have 127000 miles and i purchased it with 111000 a little over 2 years ago. The check engine light is not on but I have done the led code reader numerous times. Got a total of 4 codes, but only decided to clear one. Pin 14 gives codes 2, 4, and 11. One time I got code 49 on pin 8 which i cleared and has not returned.

PIN 14 CC/ETA
code 2 - EA/CC/ISC control module (N4/1) or Safety contact switch (M16/1s1) or Stop lamp switch or Cruise control switch or Actual value potentiometer or Starter lock-out/back-up lamp switch or engine speed signal or vehicle speed signal or closed throttle position switch or safety relay in EA/CC/ISC control module

starter lock-out has been bypassed by previous owner and the reverse lights do not always activate ever since the NSS was replaced which may be reasoning behind code 2

code 4 - Cruise control switch (S40)

cruise control works for me 9 times out of 10 and once deactivated itself when i hit a pothole

code 11 - Closed throttle recognition signal to engine control module (HFM-SFI or Left LH-SFI) Fuel safety shut-off to engine control module (HFM-SFI or left or right LH-SFI)

throttle cable/assembly has too much play which i have since greased up a little, but may soon take to mechanic for assistance. another member mentioned his throttle return spring was missing which may also be the issue here (don't remember if that car was a w124, but i could not find a return spring when i looked at my car)

and code 49 on pin 8 is Voltage supply at engine control module implausible/low volts

which i believe is tied to cars hesitation issue when trying to pass

I have already replaced the OVP which was before replacement and after replacement part number 5406745. I have a feeling hesitation issue began after i used the e320 to jump start another car causing me to suspect OVP was the issue

I know these issues can be as a result of many things, but I am leaning towards that the cars timing needs a slight adjustment, oxygen sensor needs replacing (even though not causing a fault code), or throttle actuator needs to be looked at. Car does not have ASR feature.

I am sorry for the long post and i thank you for taking time to read it