View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 AM

not the differential atleast thanks what i think

sorry for the late posts i managed to put new cv boots its really easy when you remove the cv joint end then its just a matter of pulling the old one out and pushing in the new one all you need is a hammer and a small pice of plywood. i put in the differential and its not the differential or cv joints the taped roller bearings ect are all good so i just filled new sae 90 oil and put it back in and the noise still continued so i removed the propeller shaft and and checked the universal joint and the bearing that goes for the bracket that holds the propeller shaft where the short one and long one joins and its good too so i don't know what to do now the noise comes somewhere from there. There is something else with broth propeller shafts removed i started the car and put it on reverse and let go of the clutch just to see if it was from the gear box and there was no noise its not from the gear box so ...... i dont know what else to check but it comes from near the bearing of the propeller shaft now the noise however comes when the wheels are turning the slowest and i think thats reverse on idle it would come if you put it on the first too but while its on the reverse and if you accelerate the car abit the noise would go off so i mainly hear this when reversing on idle

ps the automatic gearbox that came with this car had to be removed due to mechanical problems and was replace with a w123 manual gear box and the length of the small propeller shaft was reduced to fit the manual gearbox my father says it wasn't very professional work in srilanka could this be the reason ?
please help

thanks jeremy clarkson himself