View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 02:39 PM

installing a turbo in a '84 190d?

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas regarding this prospect. The car has a 2.0 liter engine and as far as i can tell, never had a turbo on it, but... A friend of mine told me that the most difficult part of this project would be finding an exhaust manifold that had an outlet to send the exhaust to the turbo. Well, lo and behold, i looked under the hood and realized that it seems the manifold on my car's engine has a square-headed plug threaded into it. This was a grey market car, but i can't think of why this should be the case, other than that perhaps the manifold was replaced at some point with a second hand part--seems unlikely, but what do i know? Anyway, assuming that this manifold is suited for this, can anyone suggest what other modifications i might need to make? Is it worth messing with a used turbo, or can a suitable new one be obtained for a reasonable price? Do i need to find a different intake manifold or replace any other components?

Aaron

'84 190d, daily driver, 4-cyl 5-sp sd trans, converted to WVO, not using up the oil i collect fast enough 'cause it's getting 40/gal!
'83 300td wagon, many issues!
'88 240 volvo st.wagon, 5-sp sd, as good a gasser as ever there was, on permanant loan to my mom.