Thread: Career Advice
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Gone Waterboarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Hi all. I have a problem. I can't seem to get a good job where I am, don't really want to move unless it's for a really good job, and am considering going back to school.

A little background information:

I have a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and worked as an engineer at an automotive test facility for about two years. Somehow, I managed to never learn CAD or any other drafting software, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go back to school to get another engineering job.

I've done a little over three years total active duty time as a Navy Seabee. I'm still in the reserves and will hit five years total service this month. I really enjoyed being on active duty and have applied to go active duty again, but my rate was overmanned so the Navy declined. That was about seven or eight months ago, so I'm thinking about giving it another shot.

I have applications in progress with two police departments. I was going to apply to the Border Patrol, but they've temporarily stopped taking applications for agents. I also started the application process for FBI and found out that I'm not eligible under their criteria.

The Navy trained me as a diesel/heavy equipment mechanic and I wouldn't mind doing it in the civilian world. However, I'd have to make a heavy investment in tools and I'm really not up on computer diagnostics since the Navy's junk is mostly too old to be computerized.

I've considered driving truck but am somewhat resistant to it due to my tendency to gain weight if I'm not extremely active.

I'm willing to go back to school, but I'd rather keep to a relatively short course. A few weeks to a few months.

Advice?
KBR, I think you would be a good candidate for their operations and its not all in Iraq.

Also Frank Morris's company IIRC General Dynamics is hiring.