View Single Post
Old 05-20-2002, 09:57 AM

mc repair kits

I have rebuilt master cylinders and have replaced them. Either way can produce satisfactory results, and so the equation involves $$$ and your time, and somewhat the condition of the old master, which cannot have excessive corrosion inside and be successfully repaired. Technically, you should hone the inside to make a smooth bore. In some cases, using a scotchbrite pad rolled up, I have been able to touch up a borderline (no pitting) master. I always worry about changing the inside diameter of the casting.

It ain't rocket science. Most kits include your seals, new springs, and sometimes all the other metal parts that make up the working guts of the master. Watch the order everything comes apart (there is stiff spring pressure, so be careful not to have the innards fly out willy-nilly), and do the same in reverse with the new stuff. Inspect your bore visually and check with a paper clip or similar whether there is pitting.

If you have the time, take the whole shebang apart before you order anything. If your bore is shot, just get the new one. If this is your first time, and you might have other brake system issues, get a new master. you don't want to worry about whether some ongoing problem is your rebuild or something else.

Rebuilding may add an hour to an r&r. Good luck.

Peter
2001 E320 72K